RSS

Blog posts of '2015' 'January'

CKB Review on Living Overland

Living Overland just did a nice review on the Camping Kitchen Box.  Like any good review they found some things they liked and some things they did not ... They were of course absolutely correct on the things they liked.. as far as things they did not like... they were also correct.

One issue they had is with the height of the box, and yes,  It is tall. The stove compartment in particular is sized to fit the tallest of camp stoves. If the box height is an issue and is what is keeping you from purchasing a CKB we can actually make you one that is shorter without too much difficulty. Contact Us if you want you box shorter (or even a little taller), it won't cost you anything extra, because it is actually pretty easy to do... changing the other dimensions is not as easy though, but I suppose given enough timeand money(especially money) we would make it happen.

Another issue they had is with the plastic rivets. They are right and I believe I have fixed the issues, and actually covered the details in a previous blog post .

So if you have not already read the review on Living Overland, do it now, and then check out the rest of what is a very interesting blog with other equipment reviews and some yummy recipes for the gourmet camper.

Constant Little Improvements

I am always striving to make improvements to the box… Each box I build is hopefully a little better than the one I made before. Sometimes it just comes out a little nicer because I have even more practice working with what is sometimes an unforgiving material. Other times I have an idea to do something differently  that make the box better.

In this second category my latest improvement is using pop rivets and washers to fasten the straps for the buckles to the box. Previously I have been using plastic rivets to attach these straps. The plastic rivets do a fantastic job of keeping the box together, but they were not always up to the lateral forces from the traps and buckles… After pondering the issue for a while and playing with several solutions, pop rivets, combined with some washers proved to be the answer I have been looking for. Below is a picture of the pop rivets in place on the side buckle. Hope you like the results!

Buckle and straps attached with pop rivets